Sunday 12 August 2012

I ♥ the Olympics


"Look mate, this is my country. This is where I grew up, this is where I started life. This is my country and when I put on my Great Britain vest I'm proud. I'm very proud. The support I got today was unbelievable. I couldn't believe it. It was the best moment of my life".   Mo Farah

Source
The Olympics.  Nuff said really.

Oh, alright if you push me. 

It has been so great.  London has felt so positive and vibrant since the Olympics started. I initially thought it was all the wine we had drunk that night, but the joy from The Olympics Opening Ceremony seemed to be universal. An articulation and celebration of being British recognisable to everyone (almost).  It drew a close to the pre-Olympics cynicism.

It's just been glorious.  We waited for the torch by Ally Pally, we saw France v Russia in the semi finals of the womens' basketball, paused on the mall to catch a bit of road-race cycling and marathon, watched television in the canteen at work and when we got home.

Physical and mental endurance. Charisma and charm.  Focus and hard work. Extra-ordinary, ordinary people. Shared national experience. Mo Farah, Laura Trott, Victoria Pendleton, woman's sport, Bradley Wiggins, public transport, Lewis Smith, Jessica Ennis, Usain Bolt, Andy Murray, Yohan Blake, Greg Rutherford, The Brownlee brothers, Tirunesh Dibaba, Jamaica, Chris Hoy, Nicola Adams, London. All winners.

The Boyfriend is a bit sad that its all over. He cheers up when I remind him we've got tickets for the para-Olympics. Even more when I remind him its 10 weeks until the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment